Monday, August 13, 2012

Welcome back!

Well...Most of you are back at work. I know in-service week was always my favorite (NOT). Except the food is great! Had lunch today with Riverside staff at Refuge Baptist Church and it was amazing (I ate 3 desserts). I hope you are all learning tons and getting to spend some time in your rooms preparing for the little darlings to come back on Monday!

I hope to see you all at some point this week. If you need me, please let me know. I had misplaced my work cell, but it has been replaced. Or, you can always email me.

This morning I worked with Brandy Ivy and Dan Qualls at Riverside laying a floor...do you believe that? We were actually doing manual labor!!! It is a really neat fall-safe flooring, but not so fun to install. The school nurse Holly (I have 3 school nurses named Holly!) helped. So today's tip will be about school nurses as IEP team members (in honor of the Hollys).

For students who take prescription medication to treat their disabilities, or who are limited in certain activities due to health-related concerns, including the nurse in the IEP process can help ensure the appropriate use of medical procedures. Including the nurse on the IEP team allows all of the individuals involved in the student's education to receive correct and up-to-date information on the child's medical needs. IDEA rules authorize anindividuals possessing knowledge or special expertise regarding the child, including related service providers, to be members of the IEP team, at the discretion of the parent. The hope is always that the nurse's presence on the team will help guarantee medial concerns are taken into account when his or her program is developed and implemented.

We are all a team!

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." (Albert Einstein)

No comments:

Post a Comment