Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Blogs are fun (when you can see them)!

Ok guys. I am working with technology people to get the filter situation corrected so everyone can view the blog while at school. In the meantime, I hope you will read and respond at home.

I bought several new books when I was at the LRP conference (which was AMAZING)! I am reading one now called Quick Tips to Boost Your Special Education IQ. I thought I could share a tip from this book each day until we are all genius level...lol. Jump in if you have any questions or issues and we will discuss them!

Today's tip is ACCOMMODATIONS DON'T MEAN GRADE ADJUSTMENTS. I know sometimes we struggle to help our regular education teachers feel ok with the accommodations they give special education students. It all goes back to the fairness issue. This book brings up a great point. It said in most cases special education students should be graded "in accordance with the district's generally applicable grading policies" when in the regular classroom. To apply a different grading system strictly based on the fact the student has a learning disability (for example)  implies special education students are being treated differently on the basis of their disabilities.

I think the important thing to remember when it comes to grading (and all things regarding our students) is that each child's strengths and weaknesses should be looked at on an individual basis. All decisions regarding these students should be made based on individual needs. No blanket decisions for all students who receive special education services, right?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Those of you that don't know, Lori Pruitt will be back with our office next school year! We are very excited! I know you are all busy packing your rooms for your summer vacation. I hope you have a fantastic, restful, peaceful summer.

Keep in touch over the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment