Monday, July 2, 2012

AASEA

Hi everyone

I can't believe it's July already...Summer is flying by!

I just got back from AASEA...which was pretty pitiful. I had never been to the Special Education Administrator Conference before and really was expecting great things...sad :)

I did come away with a few good things I am going to share with you when we get together on the 25th and 26th. Those of you who can't make it on the 25th and or 26th, let me know and we will find a separate time to meet.

I am still looking at folders and collecting information to give to you guys so we know how to work smarter (not harder).

I know everyone is working on in-service so my Tip of the Day is about inservice for our transportation personnel. Many times students will require transportation as a related service. As in-service is being offered this fall, consider meeting formally or informally with your transportation team to explain issues that arise with these children. Maybe if a better understanding is gained regarding "our" students, transportation will become less of an issue (particularly in the behavior realm). A comprehensive training program can help districts avoid possible liability in the event a child is injured on or removed from the bus.

Here are a few training issues that should be considered:
 1.  Operation of specialized equipment
 2.  General special education training
 3.  General first-aid training
 4.  Specific training for medically fragile students

You may need to work in conjunction with your principals and nurses to ensure proper trainings are held.

On a side note, if you are having difficulty commenting on the Blog, just sign in with your gmail account when prompted and it will be smooth sailing after that. If you have problems, let me know.

Have a great 4th!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment