Monday, July 30, 2012

love, love, love

Thanks to all of you who came to the in-service last week. I appreciate your presence and participation so very much. I think I learned more from you guys than you did from me, AND I should only have about 15 people to train in the fall, so that will be much less disruption for your kiddos.

Only 2 more weeks of summer (boo) so I am taking off some this week. I will be gone Tues, Weds and Friday. If you need me, you will have to contact me through email or my personal cell because my work cell is temporarily misplaced (I hope).

Since we are having so many issues with Prior Written Notice, today's tip will deal with Prior Written Notice and Suspensions.

Please note that even though short term (less than 10 cumulative days) suspensions do not constitute a change in placement, Goss v. Lopez (1975) requires Districts to provide the suspended student with "some kind of notice" and "some kind of hearing". Specifically Districts are required to: 1) Proide the student with oral or written notice of the charges; 2) Explain the evidence that supports the charges in circumstances where the student denies the allegations; and 3)Offer the student an opportunity to present his or her side of the story.

Be sure to keep your ear to the ground regarding discipline. Many times, our administrators may not have the rules of IDEA in mind when imposing discipline. Be sure to share all information with them, including updated alpha lists to make sure we are all on the same page.

Enjoy yourselves the rest of the summer! See you soon!

PS Please have your ARMAC video training done prior to August 17th!

No comments:

Post a Comment